Scrolling through Facebook and wanting to recreate a picture I saw 🙂
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 tbsp almond milk
4 cups berries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 lemon (zested & juice)
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup mashed almonds
- Make the crust first–combine softened butter and sugar and mix (electric mixer helps a LOT).
- Add the flour and salt, and mix until you get a crumbly consistency.
- Add the almond milk slowly until it forms a dough (add more, tbsp by tbsp, if needed).
- Get a 8×8 baking dish, butter to prevent sticking, and dust the surfaces with flour.
- Spread the dough flatly along the bottom of the entire dish and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F at this time and gather filling ingredients.
- Bake chilled crust for 20-25 min, then take out to cool (don’t turn off oven!!)
- Prepare the filling. Add berries, sugar, flour, lemon zest and juice, and butter to medium saucepan before turning on heat.
- Turn on heat to medium and cook, mashing the berries and stirring until the filling is bubbly and thick.
- Pour filling over the crust.
- Mash almonds and spread over the filling.
- Bake for 25-30 more minutes.
- Take the bars out and let cool for 2-3 hours, or even better overnight, to let the bars set.
*creates 9 servings